Friday, July 05, 2013

Guest Post: 6 Books to Help You Find Inner Strength

Today you can find me over at Sophisticated Dorkiness where I am sharing a guest post on Kim Ukura’s blog. Kim is a bookworm and book blogger who has had a huge influence on this blog and my reading life. In case you don't believe me, check out this list of blog posts in which I’ve mentioned Kim:

Getting a Clue About Feminism

50 Books Every Young Woman Should Read

Anne Lamott's 'Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life' and Jealousy

Searching for the Truth

Memorable Vacation Reads

Making Women Count: Ending the Year on a Low Note

Light Reading

Deciding to Join the Bleak House Read-Along

I also want to highlight Kim’s latest endeavor - a nonfiction recommendation feature where she is offering personal nonfiction recommendations. To receive yours, just fill out the questions on this form and, over the next month or so, she will go down the list and recommend books. Since I am a huge fan of nonfiction, I'm looking forward to Kim’s picks which I'm sure will guarantee my TBR list will never be without books.

My guest post summarizes six of the books I’ve read date to-date that have had the biggest impact on my strength challenge - a challenge I created last summer when after having difficulty once again thinking on my feet I decided to challenge myself to become a stronger person in my 50th year. Initially I had visions of taking yoga classes and pursuing other physical challenges, but after an injury my challenge quickly morphed into a reading challenge. I decided to read at least one book a month that dealt with an aspect of inner strength such as confidence, communication skills, dealing with difficult people or circumstances, self-knowledge, willpower, etc. To read the post in its entirety click here: 6 Books to Help You Find Your Inner Strength.

4 comments:

  1. Great list of books for me to check out! I do actually own Bird By Bird although I've yet to finish reading it. I've been meaning to and seeing this let me know I better get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn,
    Bird By Bird is one of my favorite books on writing. If you finish reading it, stop back and share your thoughts.

    Thank you for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopping over from Thursday Throwback (and back from reading your post on Kim's blog -- I'm a big fan of hers as well!). Great list! I read a couple before, so I'm adding The Gift of Fear and Women Don't Ask to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to read books about bettering myself - inner strength, wellness, building a business - anything that can challenge me and my mind. Thank you for sharing. And thank you for linking up with #throwbackthursdaylinkup

    ReplyDelete