Sunday, September 01, 2013

Announcing "The Savvy Reader" Book Club

I've decided to start an online nonfiction book club for savvy readers.  My plan is to choose one or two books at the beginning of each month then host discussion posts throughout the month.  All you have to do is read the book and participate as you see fit.  If you write a blog post discussing one of my book selections I will be happy to add your link to a post.

The Savvy Reader book club selection for September is Sheryl Sandburg’s book Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead:
 

I am choosing this book as my first book club selection to motivate me to finally read it.  When Lean In was initially released I read so many negative reviews I couldn't bring myself to read it.   Then I realized it is time I find out what all the hoopla is about.

This month I am also recommending Leymah Gbowee's book Mighty Be Our Powers: How Sisterhood, Prayer, and Sex Changed a Nation at War as a companion read.

 
 
Sheryl Sandberg mentions Leymah Gbowee and her memoir Mighty Be Our Powers: How Sisterhood, Prayer, and Sex Changed a Nation at War in the beginning of her book.  Leymah won the 2011 Nobel Peace Prize for helping to lead the women's protests that toppled Liberia's dictator. While attending a book party in Sheryl's home a guest asked Leymah how American women could help those who experienced the horrors and mass rapes of war in places like Liberia.  Her response was four simple words: "More women in power."  Her memoir should be an interesting read.
 
Please Note, I am an Amazon Affiliate

Have you read either of these books? What were your thoughts?  Be sure to stop back in throughout the month to participate in the discussions. 
 

12 comments:

  1. I'm sitting here with three books beside me trying to figure out which one of them to read next. "Lean In" happens to be one of the three. Guess I'll open it up and get started!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,
    I am so happy to have you join me. Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Mighty Be Our Powers" sounds like it might be a good read, will have to put it on my growing reading list. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read either of those books but the second one really sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. we are like twinsies! i chose lean in for my book club choice and just finished reading it. so inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the idea of a book club, Savvy.

    My daughter just graduated from college in June and read "Lean In." She loved it and found it inspiring. Last winter, I got to meet Leymah Gbowee. She gave a talk at an International Women's Day celebration. She's an amazing person and a fantastic speaker. I loved what she had to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a cool idea :) I might be a bit too busy for the next couple of months, but I hope I can join in with you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kira,
    I have already read Mighty Be Our Powers. Leymah Gbowee's story is amazing. She was an abused wife with no education who went on to head a coalition of women who demanded peace for Liberia. And it worked. I highly recommend this book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susannah,
    It is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Catherine,
    I would love to hear what your book club thinks of the book. Please stop back later this month and share. I agree the book is much more inspirational than is portrayed in the media.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Monica,
    I would love to hear Leymah speak. And yes Lean-in would make a great gift for a college grad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rachel,
    I would be happy to have you. Also I am open to book pick suggestions.

    ReplyDelete