Monday, July 04, 2011

50 Best Books for the Unemployed

Phrases such as “Books to read when laid off” and “Books to help with my job search” are common searches that appear in my blog stats.  Fortunately, I now have a resource for those who are out of work or looking to make a job or career change Bachelors Degree Online has compiled a list of The 50 Best Books for the Unemployed.

The list is divided into the following categories:

Inspiration
Just for the Unemployed
Motivation
Networking and Business
Job Hunting

Years ago when my entire department was laid-off we were all given a copy of What Color Is Your Parachute? hen my husband lost his job in 2003 he was given Spencer Johnson's Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life. Both books are included in the list as well as Tom Rath's StrengthsFinder 2.0one of my favorite reads for self-discovery. There is even a book to help cope with the cost of health insurance The Healthcare Survival Guide, Cost-Saving Options for The Suddenly Unemployed and Anyone Else Who Wants to Save Moneyby Martin B. Rosen and M.D. Abbie Leibowitz

I want to add every book in the “Just for the unemployed” category to my TBR list, but for now am adding Unemployment: The Shocking Truth of Its Causes, Its Outrageous Consequences And What Can Be Done About It by Jack Stone and Joe McCraw to my summer reading list.

What are your thoughts of the books on the list?  Do you have any additional recommendations?

If you enjoyed this post you may also like:
Can reading a book transform you or your business?
Discovering my Strengths
50 Books Every Young Woman Should Read

6 comments:

  1. The summer I was laid off I was a) too panicked and b) so much in denial that I didn't read a single book! I hope that if it had continued more than the three months, that I would have pulled myself together and read some of these.

    good advice to start a focused reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather dont call myself unemployed because it just sound like homeless or smth in my head. i ll have a look on your books. It s funny how panicky and anxious I et one day and then on others I stay positive. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from LBS-

    A book I highly recommend, if only to keep your spirits up is Jen Lancaster's "Bitter Is The New Black". When her and her husband were unemployed they actually resorted to getting married so they could pawn wedding gifts off to pay bills. GENIUS. :) It's a funny memoir that would make anybody think maybe their situation isn't so bad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Timely offering... think I should consider some of those. Hopped from LBTP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from LBSTP. What a lovely blog you have and a great list of books, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Webb & Sonishka,
    When I was laid off I was lucky to find a new job before my current job ended. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to be unemployed for a long period of time. You both brought home how hard it is to stay positive while unemployed.

    Sara,
    I haven't read "Bitter Is The New Black," but have heard many consider Lancaster to be funny. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Riley's Smile,
    Thanks for stopping in. Love your post from Rebekah Aldridge.

    Lady D,
    Thanks for the compliment and for stopping in.

    ReplyDelete