Tuesday, October 01, 2013

The Savvy Reader Book Club Choices for October

The Savvy Reader Book Club is an online nonfiction book club created for the serious reader.  At the beginning of each month I select one or two books then host discussion posts covering the books throughout the month.  If you write a blog post about one of my selections I will be happy to include its link in my final post.

The Savvy Reader book club selections for October are:

Andrew Hacker and Claudia Dreifus book Higher Education?: How Colleges Are Wasting Our Money and Failing Our Kids---and What We Can Do About It

  
I decided to choose this book after talking to a recent college grad who after spending over $100,000 on a fashion merchandising degree can only find employment as a retail associate; a job that does not require a 4-year degree. This book promises to expose the truth about what is wrong with higher education and is guaranteed to provide interesting conversation.
 
I am also selecting Tina Fey's book Bossypants
 
 
 
I chose this book after learning it was the best book Sheryl Sandberg read last year. After reading a depressing book like the one above we will most likely be ready for a funny book. I've read mixed reviews about this book though.  Some reviewers have found it hilarious while others thought it wasn't funny at all.  Please join me if you would like to find out for yourself.   
 
Have you read either of these books? If so what were your thoughts?  Be sure to stop back in throughout the month to participate in the discussions. 
 
Please Note, I am an Amazon Affiliate

5 comments:

  1. I love book blogs......and look forward to checking your books out! Saw you on SITS! have a good one.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaunell,
    Thank you. What are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Bossypants. I read it for my book club. I found it had some good life lessons. I did write a blog post about it. Let me know when you post the link so I can add my post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chasing Joy,
    I will be happy to. Now I have to try to keep myself from sneaking a peek at your review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. didn't know you had a book club! Ipicked up Lean In a week ago and need to read it before its due to the library. I was not a fan of Bossypants but maybe I should have finished it!

    ReplyDelete