Friday, February 22, 2013

Strength Challenge Interview #5 - Closing Comments

Created by Darlene B. Nemuth
This week I am running a series of posts resulting from my strength interview with Darlene B. Nemeth. About two years ago Darlene embarked on a journey to travel towards inner peace and happiness. Her quest reminded me of my own challenge to become a stronger person in my 50th year. Curious to learn more I emailed Darlene and requested an interview. Today is the final post in the series.

What do you know now that you did not know when you were 18?

I learned that you can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable. You have to move out of your comfort zone. The more you do this, the easier it gets.

Remember, even confident people feel awkward and uncomfortable at times but they are willing to step out of their comfort zone because that is where accomplishments and personal growth occur.

It is true, I never thought of myself as a strong confident woman. Ah!

A woman. That is weird. Strong and confident? Not me.

I guess I was wrong. Weirder eh? I was working as an Office Manager, I do not remember how the conversation came about but I was told by one of the office staff, that I was a strong and confident woman. I was shocked.

I had to email my mentor. I told her this shocking news. Her reply was that I had come a long way since we worked together and that this woman was looking at me as I had looked at her several years ago. Does that make sense?

I didn’t feel strong and confident but that was how I appeared to those around me. Amazing isn’t it. So now when I am feeling a little lacking, I remember those words: “you are a strong and confident woman.” Damn straight!

Are there any books that have influenced you or that you find yourself always recommending to others?

I was extremely shy when I was younger. I am still shy but for the most part it does not get in the way. My supervisor at the time, sent me to a Dale Carnegie course. Subsequently, I was given the book. I still have that book and I do recommend it. The book is called How To Win Friends and Influence People. Don’t let the title fool you, it has a lot of great tips – not so much on how to be a strong person – but more about being a strong communicator.

I also like Rhonda Byrne’s book The Magic. There are 28 days of 28 practices of gratitude. I started my blog by going through these exercises. It changes your perception of events and people. A happy person is a strong person.

Do you have any other tips or suggestions that may help me in my strength challenge? Or is there anything else you'd like to add that I haven't thought to ask about?

I was watching the movie The Help and there is a line that I will always remember. I now say this with my granddaughter before she goes to bed. “I am smart. I am kind. I am important.”

Savvy. You are smart. You are kind. You are important.
 
Thank you, Darlene Nemeth for an enjoyable and informative interview. In addition to Darlene's website http://darlenebnemeth.blogspot.ca/, you can find Darlene's pins on Pinterest and items for resale at LittleShopTreasures on Etsy.
 
Do you want to read more?
Here are the four other posts in this series covering my strength interview with Darlene Nemeth:

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I always feel motivated after reading your blog. Happy SITS Sharefest, and I hope you have a fabulous weekend.

    xo,
    Stephanie
    Diary of a Debutante
    www.stephanieziajka.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    Isn’t it funny how we can appear stronger on the outside than we are on the inside. So wonderful that a member of your staff informed you . I’m curious how did you find your mentor? Are they someone you knew or did you hire a life coach? I read a portion of, “How to Win Friends and Influence People” a few years ago. I am adding it to my strength challenge.

    Thanks for including the quote from The Help. It is also one of my favorites. I think about it often.

    Thanks again for the interview.

    ReplyDelete