Sunday, September 30, 2007

Yogurt is really pudding

"Yogurt with high fructose corn syrup is more like pudding (a treat) than a healthy food," stated Eliz Greene of Embracing Your Heart, whose seminar "Women's Heart Health" I attended last week. After hearing this, I had what Oprah would call an Aha! Moment. If yogurt is considered a treat, the majority of the food I eat is really a treat. I decided it's time I got serious about losing weight; to do this I need to change what I eat.

Background:
I have wanted to lose ten pounds for as long as I can remember. For the past ten years I have gained a couple of pounds each year; resulting in many of the classic clothes I purchased to wear year after year no longer fitting. I have never tried dieting; I didn't think I had to. I exercise religiously three times a week; pack what I considered to be a healthy lunch; a granola bar, yogurt, and a piece of fruit. For dinner I limited my red meat and usually ate sensibly. Following these steps I thought eventually the weight would just come off.

What am I doing wrong?
I don't eat enough for lunch. To compensate each afternoon around 3:00 I hit the snack machine or raid the candy bowl at work. In addition, in order to have enough energy to workout I almost always grab several handfuls of chips or a couple of cookies as I head out the door on my way to the gym. During summers I entertain frequently; consuming fattening appetizers, desserts and high calorie drinks.

What changes am I going to make?
After hearing that yogurt is a treat, I finally realized I need to be honest with myself about my food choices. First and foremost, I need to eat a more substantial lunch. Since I am not fond of sandwiches, I am going to add a large salad or soup to my lunch. I will substitute plain yogurt with real fruit instead of the yogurt pudding I've been eating and raisins mixed with nuts for the granola bars (which is really a glorified candy bar). A piece of fruit will be my mid-afternoon snack. Sweets and chips will be eliminated from my diet. When entertaining, I will attempt to include healthy appetizers and low calorie drinks.

What is my time frame?
I plan on immediately making these small food adjustments permanent lifestyle changes. I will keep you informed of my results.

No comments:

Post a Comment