Saturday, August 22, 2009

Unplugging Electronics; how much does it really save?

After reading electronic devices continue to draw electricity from the socket even when not in use, I began unplugging our phone chargers, microwave, toaster and coffee maker each morning. I’ve wondered how much if any money this is really saving me. After watching this video, I now estimate my efforts to be worth less than $5 a year. Watch the video and see what you think. Is it worth it?

Click here to play video

FYI, if I purchased the electricity meter shown in the video it would take 6 years of continuous unplugging to make up for the $30 purchase price.

1 comment:

  1. That video is somewhat creepy! I do wonder how much unneeded electricity I use. There's also a power strip that somehow turns off vampire usage. I'm not sure if you have to switch it to off or if it just does it for you. I think it's called smartstrip.

    ReplyDelete