Thursday, May 17, 2012

Love for Grown-Ups

Motivation for reading:
TLC Book Tours recommended I review the book Love for Grown-ups: The Garter Brides' Guide to Marrying for Life When You've Already Got a Life by Ann Jacobs, Patricia Lampi and Tish Rabe for this blog. Since I write about personal finance, finance for women, relationships, and also do book reviews, I decided to accept a review copy.

What is the book about?
The book offers advice for dating and getting married later in life and includes thoughts about combining finances with prospective partners, enjoying dating, blending families, and more.


Why do the authors call themselves Garter Belt Brides?
Because all three of them got married after the age of thirty-five and each bride wore the same lucky garter at their wedding.

My thoughts:
First off I was pleased the book was better than the fluffy gimmicky “How to find a man in 30 Days” books my old roommate used to read and leave lying all over our apartment.

This book, though, not as in depth as I would have liked did touch on important points and offer good advice.  For example: pay attention to how he treats his mother, be careful of over sharing (too soon), and introduce him to your friends at a large gathering (you can arrive and leave spontaneously). I especially agreed with the advice to read each other’s divorce agreements and to make out new wills before getting married.

I also realized since I married at thirty-five, I too was a garter bride and have to agree with what they say about grown up dating:

Grown up dating is different from dating in your twenties – in a good way! First, you’re a lot wiser about what you want in a relationship. Second, there’s only one rule: It should be fun. Both of you are looking for a new start, so give yourselves one!  (Pg.1)
In addition to advice from the authors, the book also includes anecdotes and experiences from other grown up brides.  I thought this was especially helpful in the chapters pertaining to couples with children; how to meet the kids and blend the families.

The book offered an entertaining look at dating as a grown up. I came away with the following suggestions for a successful relationship: both parties need to have an open mind, talk about their needs, be honest, willing to compromise and willing to change. Overall though I think the book makes "love for grownups" sound easier than it actually is.

If you enjoyed this post you may also like:
How to Avoid Being Conned on a Dating Site

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found some helpful tips here even if it wasn't a perfect read for you.

    Thanks for being a part of the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping over from SITS. Looks like an interesting read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for an honest and straight-forward review. I love the concept and topics that they covered. Visiting from SITS - Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm all for helping grownups have successful love lives and find balance between personal and work lives, so I'm glad to learn about this book.

    Btw, I'm still having trouble with my subscription to your blog, as I never get notification!
    Finally, I passed on some awards to you in my latest post, so please stop by! http://monicastangledweb.com/2012/05/18/thoughtsy-tagged-me/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great honest review. The book seems interesting, but I seriously doubt that I will be reading the book. Even if I am now navigating the dating scene at 40.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather,
    It was my pleasure. The book was entertaining and did offer helpful hints and ideas, so for anyone looking for love and marriage the book could be of assistance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Angie,
    Thanks for stopping in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michelle,
    Honesty is one of the goals of this blog. If you check the book out came back and let me know how you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monica,
    I am honored that you thought of me in your latest post. You have always been so supportive. Looking forward to responding.

    I am about at my wits end trying to figure out why my blog's feed is not working. I did accidently post this blog post before it was completed which may have been the problem this time. I will email you after my next post to see if you received it. Maybe I am going into spam.

    Thanks again for the recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sharon,
    Thanks for stopping in. Yeah, I think you have similar views as I do - you can't learn to manage an entire relationship from reading one book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I got married 23 years ago when I was 23 and I agree we are different people as we grow and age. Since not everyone marries young and foreverl ike I did,so it is nice to find a book for grown ups who get married when they have real lives.

    ReplyDelete